Which Is Better: SMS Marketing Or Social Media Advertising?
SMS marketing and social media advertising are some of the fastest ways to reach the widest possible range of users. But what is more effective for promoting your business? Determining this can be difficult!
Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of social media advertising and SMS marketing. And also find out how using both strategies will help accelerate the growth of your business and customer base.
BENEFITS OF SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
The benefits of social media advertising for your business are truly enormous. Here are just a few of them:
- social media advertising helps to reach a wide range of segmented and high-value customers;
- it is more accessible and profitable than traditional marketing. At the same time, taking into account all the necessary expenses, advertising on social networks is more expensive than SMS marketing;
- you can split-test your ads, and advanced analytics will help you optimize your conversion rate;
- promotion in social networks offers various formats of content to attract the audience.
DISADVANTAGES OF SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
Social media marketing has many benefits for businesses and individuals, but it is not without its downsides. Here are the main ones:
- constant updates to social media algorithms can affect ad performance and ROI;
- hiring a separate specialist will require additional costs;
- high competition leads to a higher cost per click;
- if you plan to do social media marketing yourself, then you will need a long training;
- tracking social media marketing is difficult, though possible;
- social media promotion has a low conversion rate and a slow return on investment.
BENEFITS OF SMS MARKETING
SMS marketing has many advantages for both individuals and legal entities:
- With the help of SMS marketing, you can reach a huge number of people. For example, about 96% of the population uses mobile phones;
- SMS-mailing has a very high open rate (up to 98%) and conversion;
- SMS marketing is very easy to implement;
- compared to promotion in social networks, SMS marketing is more accessible and effective.
DISADVANTAGES OF SMS MARKETING
For all its advantages, SMS marketing has the following limitations and disadvantages that you should be aware of:
- leads received via SMS are hard to add to the email list (your asset);
- in some cases, you may be reported or blocked – SMS marketing can be perceived as an invasion of privacy;
- you will not be able to group or segment the audience using SMS marketing;
- scaling a business with SMS marketing is not an easy task;
- SMS marketing is limited to one content format (short message) – no long texts, images, videos, and so on;
- finally, you will not be able to effectively track how your marketing is performing and what needs to be changed to improve it.
HOW TO CHOOSE BETWEEN SMS AND SOCIAL NETWORKS?
These are two completely different marketing strategies. You can use social media promotion and SMS marketing for the same goal – conversions. However, both approaches are appropriate in different circumstances.
If you are planning to improve both your online presence and your digital footprint, then social media marketing is the perfect solution.
In addition, social media promotion allows you to properly track the reactions of your potential customers with the help of CRM tools. You get a lot of useful information about their interests, environment, work, and status, which will be useful for marketing and retargeting in the future.
If you do not intend to improve your online presence or this task is not yet a priority for you, SMS marketing is a great option for a more personalized approach and increasing conversions.
With SMS promotion, you can send more personalized messages to specific customers.
The choice between SMS and social networks largely depends on what goal you are trying to achieve. This decision will determine which strategy is best and most appropriate to use.
There are other factors to consider when choosing between SMS marketing and social media marketing.
- Budget Allocation: Both methods make it easy to allocate your budget, especially during initial A/B testing. You can quickly determine which ad set requires more funds.
- Target Audience: Social media marketing allows you to define your target audience rather than just running ads randomly. This helps to reduce costs and achieve the desired results.
- Competent Employees: Without a qualified team, social media marketing becomes an almost impossible task. If you do not have competent employees, SMS marketing will come to the rescue.
- Competition: The higher the competition, the less effective social media marketing will be. On the other hand, SMS promotion allows you to send personalized messages and reach out to your audience directly.
With all this in mind, you can choose the most appropriate strategy for your business.
And why not consider email promotion if you are looking for an alternative strategy? The ROI on email marketing is $42 for every dollar spent. You can manage email lists, schedules, and campaigns with dedicated services.
HOW TO USE SMS MARKETING AND SOCIAL MEDIA ADVERTISING AT THE SAME TIME
Social media advertising and SMS marketing are extremely beneficial for businesses on their own, but when combined, these strategies can be even more successful. Because both approaches have unique properties, it’s important to know how to use them at the same time.
Here are some ways to apply these strategies together.
1. Create a customer database
By sharing strategies, it will be easier for you to build a good customer database. For example, you can start an SMS marketing campaign that will run advertisements inviting potential customers to send SMS to receive prizes.
This campaign uses both strategies. It allows you to attract more potential customers and achieve high conversions.
2. Grow your online presence
By combining strategies, you can significantly increase your online presence and brand awareness.
In addition to launching ads to achieve this goal, with SMS you can influence people’s actions by encouraging them to like and subscribe to your page, as well as create a positive brand attitude.
3. Increase awareness
With SMS marketing, you drive enough attention to your social media page that potential customers can get to know your products and services, resulting in a higher conversion rate.
The potential for the simultaneous use of strategies is very high, as they complement each other well.
Many companies and brands actively use both approaches, such as IKEA and Domino’s Pizza.
COMBINED PROMOTION IN SOCIAL NETWORKS AND THROUGH SMS GIVES THE MAXIMUM RETURN
To grow your business, scale, and create a high conversion rate, you need to use multiple marketing strategies. Combined promotion through SMS and social networks will give the best results and will allow you to achieve maximum returns.
It is important to note that the appropriateness of any marketing strategy depends on the specific situation.
The better you learn to apply several approaches at once, the better your business will develop.