To become the owner of your own site – to do an interesting and even favorite thing, getting a good income. Moreover, today for this you don’t need to know at least the basics of programming, code or HTML markup, because there are ready-made management systems (CMS) that allow you to create websites of various subjects. There are several popular CMS, which are characterized by ease of administration and functionality. Among those are Joomla and WordPress. Therefore, in this article I want to talk to you on the topic: Which is better: Joomla or WordPress?
Note: If you still have not decided on the choice of CMS and do not know where to start creating the site, then I advise you to register for our free 7-day training on creating a site from scratch!
Both the first and second systems became popular due to the following characteristics:
- intuitive clarity of the administrative panel
- quite high functionality
- the ability to create sites of various subjects.
But which of these systems to choose? And why? Read more about this below!
What is a content management system or CMS?
Before considering what to choose Joomla or WordPress, first read the general background information. CMS in English means Content Manager System. Its main purpose is to manage the site and its content.
Note! In fact, this is a kind of program that is installed on the hosting.
The basis of this engine is a database. That is, a special table in which fields and cells are provided for:
- article titles
- directly to the article itself
- post pictures
- comments, etc.
The CMS allows you to easily change the database structure as it is convenient for the user.
The main positive characteristic of such systems is that the site owner can easily, at any time, change the design of his resource. At the same time, there will be no problems with existing content – its changes do not apply.
Joomla or WordPress: not an easy choice
Those who are just thinking about creating their own site are wondering: “Which is better: Joomla or WordPress and why, how to make the right choice and avoid mistakes when choosing.”
Each system has its own positive features and advantages. Therefore, to decide really is not so simple. But let’s order.
What is Joomla and what is its uniqueness
This engine is the best option when creating:
- small social network
- not too large with an average corporate site functionality
- entertainment project.
Note! If your goal is to create a website that will publish a huge number of photos and video clips, Joomla is suitable for solving the problem almost perfectly.
Joomla has a large number of widgets – a few thousand – that even a novice can easily install. With WordPress, unfortunately, is not so simple. Yes, there are also extensions, but in some situations you can’t do without PHP skills.
The next positive feature of Joomla is the ability to easily manage individual elements of the page.
Yes, and the menu of the administrative panel is convenient and clear. It provides a large number of different categories and sections, the option of adding new categories, editing existing ones is available. In WordPress, there are certain limitations in this area.
SEO for Joomla
SEO is an important stage of site development. As each owner wants to receive profit from the project, it is necessary to devote a sufficient amount of time to the promotion of the resource.
However, Joomla is not as good at promoting as WordPress – the latter is ideally suited for creating websites that will ultimately take leading positions in search engine ranking.
Note! The success of the site also depends on the dedication and efficiency of its owner – you have to work very hard on the content, select the right keywords to achieve the desired result.
What can I say bad about Joomla
Do not think that I specifically sought out some negative features or find fault. No, now it will be a question of quite objective shortcomings of the Joomla engine.
- Doubtful design of the template, which is not everyone likes. In particular, the creators have installed many elements, in fact, absolutely not necessary. Therefore, to make work more comfortable, you will need to clean them.
- All work is done only manually, but to effectively do this, you must have knowledge of HTML. And not superficial, but rather deep. Since, if there is no such knowledge, it is very, very difficult to understand the accumulation of elements and sections. But even knowledge of HTML in this case will lead to the fact that you have to spend a lot of time.
Note! In general, the templates of this engine are not too simple. They can hardly be called intuitive. It seems nothing special, but still!
- Low speed work. Sites created on the Joomla system are loaded for a relatively long time. For example, even sites that are not too full of content and installed on powerful servers can load up to 4 seconds. In modern conditions – it is VERY long! To achieve loading in a couple of seconds, you need to recycle at least 50% of the entire template. The low speed is due to the fact that a large number of different folders are created on the FTP server for Joomla, which leads to low indexing. If the user has a weak GPRS or EDGE channel, then downloading the site will most likely be unrealistic.
Note! WordPress does not suffer from slow loading. Moreover, it does not require expensive hosting. Just its engine is made so that the pages of the site will be loaded in the browser pretty quickly.
With high attendance Joomla can not withstand the influx of users, which would entail a lot of problems.
Although, if you create a regular home page, you are unlikely to encounter this drawback. After all, her attendance will not be so high. Although the future must still take into account this possible problem.
Subtotal: Findings about Joomla
According to the review of the Joomla engine, you should not think that I am already setting you up for a choice solely in favor of WordPress. No, I tried to objectively explain all the positive aspects of the system, but also point out its weaknesses, so that you can navigate in all the features of this CMS.
What is WordPress and how does it attract
About the WordPress platform heard all who:
- engaged in the creation of sites
- familiar with web design
- engaged in the promotion of sites
- or at least just wondered how web resources are created.
This CMS is constantly evolving, improving and in recent years is at the peak of popularity. She is the best option for:
- personal pages
- sites on several pages.
However, this is not a complete list of sites that can be created on WordPress. For example, you can even find online cinemas on WordPress in the network, although in this case it is better to choose Joomla.
Note! Today there are also commercial sites on CMS WordPress. Among them are many of those who occupy a leading position in the issuance of search engines.
But the best option is to use VorPress for non-commercial resources, and blogs, diaries, personal pages.
And immediately about some of the negative points
Do you know why I almost at the very beginning of the review of this platform decided to focus on the negative characteristics? Yes, because they are few!
- Immediately I would like to stay at a low level of protection. There are many reviews of site owners who say that WordPress was simply hacked. Therefore, I recommend that you carefully study all the security features of the portal, read about how to achieve its effective enhancement.
- To make major changes to the overall structure will have to work hard. Or even involve a third-party specialist who has certain knowledge, if you do not have any!
The main advantages of WordPress
- A large number of templates – they are easily edited. In fact, even schoolchildren can do this job. There is no need to go deep – everything is on the surface.
- The official site presents a huge number of themes, templates. The engine itself is a “thing in itself”! It is laconic, functional and outwardly attractive. The system is ready to go!
- It works fast. Download speed no more than 1.5 seconds. And even then, if the site is really quite heavy. On average, with a good Internet download speed is 0.7 seconds.
Note! If you read the profile forums dedicated to this platform, you can get practical advice on how to increase the speed of the site.
- Perfect for SEO promotion. There are special extensions installed by one click, allowing to optimize the “promotion” of the site.
- Above, I said that sites created specifically on the WordPress platform are often hacked. However, the system itself is automatically updated – the developers are constantly making changes to the security system. If you update the engine in time, you will be able to protect yourself from hacker attacks.
Subtotal: Findings About WordPress
The information presented makes it possible to understand that, in general, the WordPress platform is superior to its competitor in several ways.
In particular, this CMS is simple and clear, it has an easy control panel, which has many functions. Even novices who have no skills in programming, layout and administration of sites will understand it without problems.
Therefore, those who are looking for a suitable system for themselves should choose WordPress . Although the individual parameters, he is inferior to Joomla.
Joomla or WordPress: what is better for a blogger and what is better for an entrepreneur?
Continuing a few more comparisons. Of course, the above information is already enough to make a specific conclusion. But, if you are suddenly confused or still can not make a final decision, let’s consider which platform is ideal:
- for blogs
- for online business.
After all, these areas are most in demand at the moment. If someone needs a website, then, more often than not, he creates it because of the desire to run his blog or do business online.
Blog: Joomla or WordPress?
So, initially WordPress was developed specifically for blogs. What is already its advantage over Joomla, if we compare both systems in this section. Only later, the developers decided that it was possible to create a full-fledged CMS and added a whole range of functions and blocks.
Therefore, Joomla loses. To it, the blog features have been added separately. So if you want to become a blogger, I recommend concentrating your attention on WordPress.
Moreover, you can create your own website yourself, even if you do not have programming skills – you do not have to spend money to pay for the work of invited experts.
Online business: Joomla or WordPress?
If you decide to run a business online, for example, through landing pages, you have to spend a lot of time and effort on finding the perfect CMS.
If you are new to such matters, then choosing Joomla will spend a little more time, effort, and even nerves on creating pages and building a business than choosing WordPress.
Although it is necessary to recognize the fact that, in general, Jumla is an ideal resource for creating landing pages, but working with it is a lot of knowledge, skills and abilities. Without them, success will be very difficult.
Therefore, WordPress will also be the best choice for online entrepreneurs!
What else would I like to say: multilingual and localization support
Another important point to talk about. So, the vast majority of sites are created not only in English, but also in other languages. Therefore, it is important to use a CMS that will support many languages. And also, which has support for many languages.
The WordPress platform is an ideal choice if you need to create a website in several languages. Simply install a special plugin that allows you to get what you want.
Pay the whole! At the moment, the platform supports 53 languages and, I am sure, this is not the limit!
At the same time, plug-ins and templates are also created in several languages at once, which simplifies the work of site owners. Developers are trying to make their CMS used by people in different regions of the planet.
In turn, Joomla also allows you to create multilingual resources, but for this you do not need to install special extensions. It is enough to select the language of interest in the control panel. However, the number of languages available is not that big.
Which is better: Joomla or WordPress Final decision
I spoke in detail about all the features of the two platforms for creating websites. Now you can understand for yourself by choosing Joomla or WordPress which one is better. Of course, I immediately recommend taking into account exactly which project you are going to do. If this is a blog, then the answer is obvious – it is given in the article. It will be WordPress!
Now let’s go further. In general, today there is a clear tendency that more and more webmasters and just those who want to make a website for themselves, choose Vodpress. And they do it quite consciously for several reasons:
- simple installation
- no complicated settings
- free themes and templates
- many free extensions that increase the functionality of sites.
Special mention deserves the so-called “brotherhood” WordPress. At the forum of platform developers you can always find the answer to any question. If not the developers themselves, then the more experienced users who have thoroughly studied this system will give it. Although, of course, it is necessary to know English in order to correctly ask a question and understand what was answered to you.
A constant update for WordPress deserves your attention – the developers are doing everything to make the platform more convenient, functional and secure. Developers pay enough attention to the correction of errors.
In fairness, we should admit that Joomla is also quite functional and convenient, but I personally, like my familiar webmasters, like WordPress.
If you still have not decided on the choice of CMS and do not know where to start creating the site, then I advise you to register for our free 7-day training on creating a site from scratch!